Recumbent Bikes, Human powered Vehicles, Wind powered vehicles, and ways to make and design them



Hard shell seat


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Here is a easy way to make a hard shell recumbent seat on the cheap. All you need is some 1/2 inch ply for the side rails and some 1-1/2 by 1/2 inch slats cut to the right lengths. Then glue and screw together. I have not made one like this but I am positive it will work. Here is a link to a PDF file with some dimensional information. Hard Shell Seat PDF

Here is a letter size paper print out that you can cut up to make a full size profile.
Link

And here is the DXF file
Link

 
  Posted by Picasa


5 Responses to “Hard shell seat”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    i want to try to build your seat any way i can get
    full size drawing for the support rails?
    thnx
    rem

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I second the request by Remy. Could I get a DXF or DWG version of the side view for the support rails? I could likely recreate it but it is much better if it is already done. If possible my Email is brawil at telus dot net

    Thanks

    PS what software are you using for the design? it looks a little like solidworks

    Brad

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Ok the blog has been updated with a link to a PDF that can be printed on 8.5 by 11 paper, and cut out to make a seat rib. Also is a DXF link

    Yes I do use Solidworks. I also run a podcast on SW tutorials at www.mountain-wave.blogspot.com

    Ben

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I would suggest using at least some dados to help with rigidity/racking if you're not using cross pieces between the two rails. And the cross pieces may be handy for mounting to the bike frame.

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I llike the dado idea for sure! but I would make sure good quality wood is used so that any dado would not make a weak point.

    Ben

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Ben
  • From Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • My life is an open book you just have to learn to turn the pages.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3