Recumbent Bikes, Human powered Vehicles, Wind powered vehicles, and ways to make and design them




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I was asked how my idler wheel setup worked. First I needed a place to mount it and there was this crank shell at the back of my frame so,,,
1. I made a wood plug and to make sure it was a tight fit I wrapped it in hockey tape.
2. Next I put one bearing cup into the crank shell.
3. Then tapped in the plug
4. Next added the second bearing cup to trap the plug.
5. I then needed to space the idler wheel out so I used some 1/2 sced 40 pvc to space it
6. Added the idler wheel.
7. Gathered the chain up into the UHMW plastic piece I machined previously and bolted it all together.

Works quite slick I must say. Greg asked me if the top chain or the drive chain was being pulled down or redirected by this idler setup as it would make a low efficiency system, so, worried, I went to the shop and checked, strangely enough it does not hinder the chain in anyway all the way through the gears... Got lucky on this one eh!


0 Responses to “”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Ben
  • From Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • My life is an open book you just have to learn to turn the pages.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3